Windows 7 x64

If you are new to development, plan on spending some time here before visiting the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

eenceo
Windows 7 x64

Post by eenceo » Wed May 05, 2010 1:39 am

Hi, I wanted to say that your tutorials have been real helpful to me, but since i got windows 7(64 bit) I've tried really hard to continue os development. First i solved 64 bit window's tendency to ignore non-digitally signed floppy disk drivers(like vdf) using ImDisk. Then partcopy became an issue with it. I've tried debug only to find out it's not included with 64 bit computers. I've used mkbt(Make Boot) with some success but bochs still complains no bootable medium so maybe it just didn't show an error. Then i went ahead to attempt to figure out dd in cygwin. Too many options :shock:

It's about time to stop windows 7 from stopping us developers. I miss XP.

Thanks for any help,
eenceo

eenceo

Re: Windows 7 x64

Post by eenceo » Thu May 06, 2010 12:17 am

Ok, i'm in luck now!

The ImDisk Virtual Disk program works great for 7x64. I also used BFI - Build Floppy Image to make a floppy image. The key is to set bochs to read off the disk image not the A: drive itself. Although normal files seam to copy to the A: drive the bootsector doesn't. Maybe it's just a setting in ImDisk, but either way you can get it to work.

pathos

Post by pathos » Thu May 06, 2010 1:58 pm

eenceo wrote:Ok, i'm in luck now!

The ImDisk Virtual Disk program works great for 7x64. I also used BFI - Build Floppy Image to make a floppy image. The key is to set bochs to read off the disk image not the A: drive itself. Although normal files seam to copy to the A: drive the bootsector doesn't. Maybe it's just a setting in ImDisk, but either way you can get it to work.
There should be a line in your Bochs config file that reads something like:

Code: Select all

floppya: type=1_44, 1_44="a:", status=inserted
I think you can change that a: to the image name and it will work. Just make sure you put the full path to your image, ie, C:\MyOS\floppy.img.

eenceo

Post by eenceo » Fri May 07, 2010 12:14 am

Yes, that's what i had to do to get it to work. I still don't know why it can't load from the A drive but at least it works.