Very goofy problem

If you are new to development, plan on spending some time here before visiting the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

xixpsychoxix
Very goofy problem

Post by xixpsychoxix » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:08 am

Ok, so i adapted the code for the demo as i said in my post about fat12 and i had alot of problems such as page faults in bochs to straight not working on real hardware. just... doing nothing. i compiled the code on my desktop and thought at first it was my code so i compiled the original demo source. similar problems. bochs just kept triple-faulting and virtualpc locked up. So i switched to my laptop and recompiled the demo code on it. EVERYTHING WORKED GREAT!!!! I havent tried to compile my own code on it yet but i was hoping someone could explain why code compiled on computers running the same software in the exact same configuration will work compiled on one machine but not on another? am i crazy? does my desktop have some kind of "I dont wanna compile for you" virus? anyone have an answer for this bizarre behavior??????

sadly i just found out that even using the code compiled on my laptop the os will not work on actual hardware. However, i think that it may be because i am using a usb floppy drive as the boot drive on my laptop. could this be why the code is hanging on that computer?

Mike
Site Admin

Re: Very goofy problem

Post by Mike » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:33 am

Hello,

This is a common issue when it comes to system software. There is no guarantee that the code in the series will work on all hardware configurations and devices. However if bochs triple faults, please try to narrow down when and where it triple faults, and post the bochs crash log please as well as the chapter that the demo you tested it on.
Lead Programmer for BrokenThorn Entertainment, Co.
Email: webmaster@brokenthorn.com

xixpsychoxix

Re: Very goofy problem

Post by xixpsychoxix » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:57 am

well the chapter was the latest demo, 21, and it seems that bochs is locking right at the SetLeds routine as i mentioned in one of my previous posts. The thing that i do not understand is that the OS works fine when COMPILED on one machine but not when compiled on another. that makes absolutely no sense to me. but i just got off night shift so i'll try to narrow down the point where my laptop stops working when i wake up...