Using code from the series in a P.D. OS

General questions related to the company.

Moderator:Moderators

latte
Using code from the series in a P.D. OS

Post by latte » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi all -
I'm a first-timer here and have been following the *excellent* OS dev series - it is amazing!

Anyway, I'm working on a small public-domain operating system, and I was thinking of using some of the code from the series in it. Is that OK?

I'm looking at having an acknowledgement like the following - I hope this is OK -

"Acknowledgement - This OS contains some code from the excellent "OS Development" series by Mike at brokenthorn.com. Many thanks to Mike for his excellent work in producing that series.

This code is released to the public domain."

Would this be acceptable? I hope it's Ok, but if not, I guess I can try to find bootloader code from an explicitly PD OS, but there aren't very many around......
Thanks for your time! Looking forward to hearing from you soon -
- Andy

Hoozim

Re: Using code from the series in a P.D. OS

Post by Hoozim » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:35 am

Try making your own bootloader. It is a good learning experiance and not too difficult. Then you wouldn't have to worry about legal issues. :)

latte

Re: Using code from the series in a P.D. OS

Post by latte » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:41 am

Hoozim wrote:Try making your own bootloader. It is a good learning experiance and not too difficult. Then you wouldn't have to worry about legal issues. :)
Hi Hoozim, thanks for your reply -
I will indeed try to do as much code by myself as possible.

Anyway, looks like I've found the answer to my question, on this page -
http://www.brokenthorn.com/Resources/OSDevIndex.html

On there, it says - "The provided material in the OS Development Series is released to the public domain." Great! Very many thanks to Mike and all in brokenthorn.com for that!

Certainly, code in tutorials like this is of most use when it is released, as this is, to the public domain. It is **wonderful** to see people like Mike (and quite a number of others recently) who have been releasing code to the public domain. The P.D. codebase on the 'net is gradually being built up to a useful level, and this tutorial series is an **outstanding** addition to it!
Bye for now -
- latte