BOOTLOADER GRAPHICS

OS Design, Theory, and Programming

Moderator:Moderators

linuxfreak
BOOTLOADER GRAPHICS

Post by linuxfreak » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:48 pm

HI ALL

i am wondering how i would go about displaying a little logo or picture when my os is booting and possibly a little progress bar or animation thingi. what libraries would i need to port to my os to do this? sorry for the bad terms used im a noob at graphics (for now) 0.o

Mike
Site Admin

Re: BOOTLOADER GRAPHICS

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:32 am

Hello,

Prior to deciding on an image or logo, it should first be decided if you want to display it in a graphics mode or text mode. Both are capable, however graphics modes provide more capabilities at the cost of also being more complex. For a bootloader, I would personally choose a small logo displaying in text mode (what most BIOS software does) but its up to you.

The rendering of the image to display depends on what graphics or text mode you are in, so we cannot proceed further until that is answered. Also, I am unaware of any publicly available libraries that support what is being requested.

linuxfreak

Re: BOOTLOADER GRAPHICS

Post by linuxfreak » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:13 am

Thanx for your reply

I think that i am going to stic with text mode as it might be vey easier to set up than graphics mode. Like i said i am a noob at graphics and am only now discovering the marvels of C and ASM. How would i go about setting it up. Maby a code sample would be nice

Thanx for any future replies