USB/HDD/CD/DVD Booting

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

pewbe
USB/HDD/CD/DVD Booting

Post by pewbe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:46 am

Will you make a tutorial on those?

pathos

Re: USB/HDD/CD/DVD Booting

Post by pathos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:15 pm

I may be wrong, but I think a hard drive is pretty similar to a floppy, you just have to change some of the numbers for tracks, sectors, etc.

I'd love to see a USB tutorial though.

Andyhhp

Post by Andyhhp » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:23 pm

If you have BIOS emulation then floppy disks and hard disks are very very similar.

However, in protected mode, you will need to send raw scsi commands to the disk (in either case). At that point, there are more intellegent things you can do with a hard drive.

~Andrew

jackson

Post by jackson » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:06 am

To boot on a cd/dvd/usb you don't necessarily have to make a separate bootloader for it, you can use the mkisofs command. For building your os I'd recommend looking at the MikeOS operating system builder files. For a hard drive you should be able to study other people's code for that but don't copy and paste or look and code because you won't learn anything and can get into trouble for doing that. Just look at the code and figure out what it's trying to do then implement it on your own os.