Enabling 3D Engine or Flash Environment in OS

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

Neo
Enabling 3D Engine or Flash Environment in OS

Post by Neo » Wed May 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Is there any way of enabling a 3D engine or a Macromedia Flash Environment in an operating system when it starts from the bootloader,so that we can add some cool looking effects to its desktop?

Mike
Site Admin

Re: Enabling 3D Engine or Flash Environment in OS

Post by Mike » Wed May 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Hello,

I cannot answer for Flash as I do not know it. But it is possible to use/have a 3d engine in an operating system...either a software 3d renderer or a hardware accelerated 3d engine (requires specific drivers of course for your graphics devices.) ..or both if you have the resources.

if you have the OS-dependent APIs, libraries, and other possible dependencies built for your OS that an existing 3d engine uses, then you may also be able to use that existing engine as well.
Lead Programmer for BrokenThorn Entertainment, Co.
Email: webmaster@brokenthorn.com

Andyhhp

Re: Enabling 3D Engine or Flash Environment in OS

Post by Andyhhp » Thu May 28, 2009 12:39 pm

The flash platform itself is written in C++ but is proprietary so porting it is not an option.

Also, from a design standpoint, I question the wisdom of having a flash based desktop.

If all you are after is 'cool effects' with rather less programming effort than writing your own graphics engine, there are other, open source alternatives that would be easier to implement.

However, that point aside, none of that helps the fact you need a VGA or VESA driver.
http://wiki.osdev.org/VGA_Resources

Try that link

~Andrew