OS Development Series

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

wererabit
OS Development Series

Post by wererabit » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:53 am

hi guys,

just wonder when will the next tutorial is on?

Thanks

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:52 am

Hey,

Please see <a href="http://www.brokenthorn.com/forums/viewt ... =109">this topic</a> about the same question ;)

Basically we have found portability problems with the boot loader program and kernel design. The old boot loader program can crash on certain hardware and devices.

We are updating the series from scratch to insure everything is up to date and contains the new 2nd stage boot loader and new kernel design and code. I am hoping everything will be updated (With a new tutorial) within the next 2 weeks or so. It should be updated before then though.

wererabit

Post by wererabit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:37 am

just to double check

was the "The Kernel: Setting up" updated?

thanks

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:55 am

Kernel Setup: MSVC++ was updated. I will soon be working on one for DJGPP, I dont know when though.

There were alot of changes to the MSVC++ kernel so the MSVC++ tutorial had to be updated.

wererabit

Post by wererabit » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:21 am

hi Mike,

Can you let me know when the new tutorial 17 along with the update source codes for the kernel stage will be up ?

Thanks

thanks

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:09 pm

The new tutorial 17: Physical Memory Management is up. I will be releasing the demo for the tutorial tonight.

Tutorials 14-16 will be updated either tomorrow or Saturday.

After the demo is uploaded I will be making an announcement but you can still access it.

wererabit

Post by wererabit » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:55 am

thanks Mike, great job. Looking forward to other update.

I have a question for the demo of tutorial 14 though. Do you plan on posting the source demo for GCC and other compiler?

Thank you :lol:

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:28 am

When we upload another "setting up a compiler" tutorial, all demos will be updated with multiple versions of the download links for different compiliers.

The source code itself is planned to remain the same across all compiliers. Any code that is specific to a compiler will be hidden behind the preprocessor (ie; We are currently using _MSC_VER alot as its defined by MSVC++). I am hoping to limit this as much though.

---

All major updates are done for the series.